Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Isaac Newton Young's Shaker Wall Clock Face



I've recently been working on a Shaker wall clock that had a face like Isaac Newton Young's clock hanging in the Hancock Shaker Village.  Based on the photos I've found on the web, this is pretty close; however, without good photos to work from, I'm sure there are a few slight inaccuracies which could be corrected.

It's hard to find a clock face like Isaac Young's.  Klockit sells one, but it's too small for a shaker clock built to the original's size.  It says it has a 7 1/2" diameter, but that's wrong.  The entire metal plate is 7 1/2" across, with the time ring being around 5 1/2" - plus, I think the lines are a bit too thick, and the vintage tan color is too dark.

Woodcraft used to sell them with a 7" ring, but their website says it's currently unavailable.  Plus, the image on their site has the year 1840 printed on it - something you may or may not want.  And like the Klockit face, I think the color (the tan vintage look) is much too dark for my tastes.

Clockprints sells various sizes in this style as well.  So far these are the most accurate ones out there, and you can purchase them printed in white, olive, or tan (again, very dark).  At the time of this writing, they cost about $15.35 for a 7" diameter paper printout.  If you want any custom printing such as the year/maker/location etc... added to the face, you'll have to scan it and edit it in an image program like Photoshop.

So, since I was unable to find a suitable face, I decided to spend some time creating my own.  I'm providing a link to an .svg file as well as a high-resolution .jpeg image so that you can edit it any way you'd like.  I've intended mine to be printed with a 7.5" ring so the outer edges come up to the edges of the upper door's face frame when looked from head-on.  You can always adjust this as needed.

If you've not accustomed to editing .svg files, check out the free .svg editor Inkscape.  It's a great program and doesn't take long to figure out how it works.  I used it to create the .svg file, and I really like it for this type of work - plus it's free.

You can download the .svg file here.  If you don't want to mess with converting the .sfg file to a .jpeg, you can download a high-resolution .jpeg here.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your design Mark. I'm planning on building the Isaac Youngs clock this winter and I, too, designed my own. However, yours looks a bit more more authentic. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete